[pp.int.general] Important for European software patent policy

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Jan 21 17:30:58 CET 2009

Software patents are a PP issue as well, aren't they? As you know, the European Patent Office (EPO) allows software patents under certain conditions, based on the fact that the European Patent Convention (only) excludes patents on "software as such". Nobody knows what "as such" really means. This is not only a problem for those who oppose "swpats" for political reasons, but also from the perspective of legal certainty.
In order to resolve these problems (in particular the latter) the "Enlarged Board of Appeal" (EBA) has been invoked (last October) to give its opinion on the boundaries of software patentability (for Americans: it is somehow similar to the American Bilski case, but still quite different).
The EPO "Enlarged Board of Appeal" now has published that third parties may submit their opinion on the case until the end of April 2004 (in what Amercans call "amicus curiae briefs").

If you don't understand the questions in the attached document, you are right. Two questions remain: how to explain that to the EBA, and what alternative to propose.

Groeten, Grüße, Regards, Cordialement, Hälsningar, Ciao, Saygilar, Üdvözlettel, Pozdrowienia, Kumusta, Adios, Oan't sjen, Ave, Doei, Yassou, Yoroshiku, Slán, Vinarliga, Kær Kvedja
>>> REINIER B. BAKELS PhD LL.M. MSc
private: Johan Willem Frisostraat 149, 2713 CC Zoetermeer, The Netherlands telephone: +31 79 316 3126, GSM ("Handy") +31 6 4988 6490,  fax +31 79 316 7221