[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jan 24 17:35:44 CET 2009

24 jan 2009 kl. 16.59 skrev Carlos Ayala Vargas:

> Per von Zweigbergk wrote:
>> - The Pirate Parties International organization as in this list is
>> an attempt of several national pirate parties to provide a forum
>> for mutual understanding an cooperation between different Pirate
>> Parties in different countries. This organization is called PPI.
>> - I don't believe that this PPI is necessarily representative of
>> the global pirate movement
> Then what does represent the global pirate movement?

Nothing in my opinion represents the entirety of the global pirate
movement. I don't see this as a problem.

>> As such, I think that there is no problem to use the abbreviation
>> PP when referring to a single party where that abbreviation is not
>> yet used by another party, and I also don't think there's a problem
>> to say things like "European PPs" when talking about Pirate Parties
>> in general.
> Disagree. As I said in my former mail -hope you read it-, there
> already exists an European PP: European Popular Party - European
> Democrats (acronym: EPP-ED); check it by yourself
>
> http://www.epp-ed.eu/home/en/default.asp

Their abbreviation isn't PP, it's EPP-ED. So maybe some national
parties use PP as their abbreviation. This is not relevant to the use
of the PP abbreviation on a european level, because it's not used. And
I don't think anyone is suggesting that PPs should make a pirate party
group in europarl and call it PP.

So the only argument that you have, that I can see is valid, is that
in some countries, the abbreviation PP is used for non-pirate
countries. And I agree with this argument, the abbreviation should not
be used in such countries.

>> To refer the international pirate movement as "PPI" is to inflate
>> the importance and scope of this organization. But I also think
>> that "PP movement" is bad terminology. I prefer and suggest "pirate
>> movement" when talking about the general phenomenon, not about the
>> organization behind them
> Well, PIRATA is pretty interested in known what is, then, the /
> pirate movement/: whether it has face, eyes, voice, known stances,
> known spokespeople, etc. It would be quite useful to us to clarify
> certain concepts. Regards,

I'm not disputing that PPI is part of the pirate movement, I'm just
saying that PPI is part of the pirate movement, and not all of the
pirate movement is PPI.

As for official spokespersons for the international pirate movement, I
don't see the need for such a thing. The Internet is about peer-to-
peer communications. Some organizations, especially on a national
level, require leaders for efficiency reasons. But in the end, there
is a difference in my opinion between the pirate movement, which is a
decentralized social phenomenon, and individual pirate parties or
international umbrella organizations.

For example, I consider myself qualified to speak for myself as a
pirate, and thus in a limited sense representative of the entire
pirate movement. I'm not however officially entitled to speak for the
Swedish (pp) or for PPI, since my role in the party is technical - not
political.

Nobody, however, can speak for the *entire* pirate movement. That's
the entire point. At least as I see it.

--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.