[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: PIRATA internal ballot, results

Carlos Ayala Vargas aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Sun Jan 25 21:33:51 CET 2009

Reinier Bakels wrote:
> Fellow pirates, before you wonder what this long mail is about: the
> issue was whether PP(I) needs an underlying philosophy. I argued not
> to be overly concerned, if only because many established and
> successful(!) political parties don't have explicit "philosophies"
> either ....
I guess you equate success not with successful policies (passing Swedish
FRA, Spanish Author's Rights law, French DADVSI and such is not
successful at all, at least thinking of citizens of those countries),
but with successful ballot results (i.e., large amounts of votes).

If I'm right about what you mean, I have to say that many established
and 'successful' parties make too many things that are rejectable -e.g.:
in Spain, established & 'successful' parties lack inner democracy; they
also often act against the will of their voters, even not observing
their political platforms; they're affected by too many corruption
scandals; and a long et cetera-, so it's up to us to decide what can be
used from those parties as an example and what not. And for PIRATA,
having a philosophy is a requirement, to have clear guidelines both for
our internal working and for our external image.

I believe it's not a good idea to follow what established and
'successful' parties do just because of being 'successful'. There have
to be, in my opinion, other worthy reasons, and reasons case by case,
issue by issue; it's not about systematically doing the opposite of what
traditional parties do, nor about doing systematically what they do.

Carlos Ayala

                  ( Aiarakoa )

                                                                 Partido
Pirata National Board's Chairman