[pp.int.general] [Cafe] Joe Biden is an enemy

Glenn Kerbein glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us
Sun Jan 25 23:47:35 CET 2009

Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> 2009/1/21 Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl>:
>> New US vice president is a fanatic fighter against "theft" of "intellectual
>> property":
>> http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_senate_hearings&docid=f:78178.pdf
>> Democrats are known to be good friends with Holywood.
Obama is also a friend of Orwellian laws too. And of poorly-named
legislation (PRO-IP and PIRATE).

> Could be, however Obama is a pragmatist - the election campaign used
> Linux and free software wherever it was useful and helpful (servers,
> communication software and even web terminals at some offices).
Bull. Shit.
> Obama
> has asked some free software people to write a report on the state of
> free software.
Why would he need to do that, when he could easily just borrow any LUG
publications, or anything from RMS?
> If we can prove to him that free software is a very
> good thing for US economy and that it is being hurt by overreaching
> patent and sometimes even copyright legislation, we might get some
> headway in US as well.

You're confusing the definition of "free". In the context, it's intended
as a verb. You can pay for free software, but you can't restrict is
redistribution. Patents, copyright, and the whole of Intellectual
Property are central to the US Economy, which presents a terrible
monopoly on innovation.

End somewhat buzzed rant.
--
Glenn Kerbein