[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietary software in a political context

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Mon Jan 26 19:26:07 CET 2009

26 jan 2009 kl. 05.22 skrev Richard M Stallman:

>    Could be, however Obama is a pragmatist - the election campaign
> used
>    Linux and free software
>
> They couldn't use Linux by itself, since that's just a kernel and
> would not run by itself in a PC.  Surely what you mean is the
> GNU/Linux operating system.

In this specific case, the usage of the term Linux was not incorrect,
because the addition of "and free software" recognized the presence of
free software from other sources than the operating system kernel.

By the way, not all unix-like operating systems using Linux as the
kernel are necessarily GNU. I have seen a lot of embedded systems
which are based around Linux and busybox. (In embedded systems, this
is much more common than running GNU/Linux.) It is not at all
impossible that somebody might make an internet server platform using
Linux but not using GNU.

I'm not saying that's what the Obama campaign used (rather unlikely in
fact), but I would just like to point out that there are other ways to
run Linux than with a GNU toolchain.

That said, I don't put much significance in the fact that Obama used
Free software in its election campaign. It all boils down to what the
guy in charge of the technical stuff is used to.

For example, the first iteration of our entire party infrastructure in
the Swedish (pp) was entirely based on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server.
That's mainly because our party leader at the time, (who unlike Barack
Obama actually ran the servers himself out of his apartment to start
with), had much more experience running Windows and programming
in .NET than he had developing a solution based on GNU/Linux.

That's changed now. Some of the vital (pp) operations still run on
Windows (our membership roster and our web forums, for example). But
most of our operations and a lot of our custom code has been migrated
to Ubuntu -- the C# code by running using the Mono runtime, our web
site running on Apache and Drupal, our e-mail running Postfix and
Courier, and this mailing list run by Mailman. There is an active
effort to move as much of our infrastructure as possible off
proprietary software, but it's not a big priority -- it's more
important to work on actual politics.

So -- the Swedish Pirate Party uses some proprietary software in its
infrastructure, and Barack Obama's campaign used some Free Software.
So what? That's just under the hood technology, not what's important
for actual political policy. I prefer to judge political entities on
their policies and their actions, rather than the software running
their web sites. :-)

I'd like to add, that to my knowledge, all proprietary software in use
by the Swedish (pp) is properly licensed and in applicable cases paid
for. Swedish (pp) doesn't condone violation of Imaginary Property laws.

And I'd also like to add that I don't see the Swedish (pp) as part of
the Free software movement. The Free software movement is a good
example that draconian Imaginary Property laws are not neccessary to
encourage creativity, not an ideal I expect everyone to adhere to.

Personally, I think that it's perfectly healthy to have competition
between Free and proprietary software, as long as that doesn't mean
vendor lock-in, secret file format standards and software patent
mindfields[1]. Otherwise we might still be stuck with xterm, xeyes and
xclock running on twm. ;-)

[1] Hm, that term was just a typo originally that I caught when
reading through the e-mail before sending. I left it in, because I
think it might actually be a good term to use in this context.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.