[pp.int.general] purpose of manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Jan 28 11:30:36 CET 2009

> Though I think you already asked this question, just to clarify your
> point: are you comparing cultural works with material properties? Also, if
> we achieve to change the commercial rights term & scope, would you
> consider those rights -when applied to works created *after* such legal
> change (very important: I'm not talking about current works, Reinier, but
> future, post-change works)- as /property/ rights?

Yes, somehow we discussed this before. I first contended that property
rights are "set in stone" once granted, but RMS gave counter-examples that
questioned this idea. The underlying principle is that a government must be
reliable. If and when it grants rights (or "recognises natural rights", for
those who like that concept - not you, I gather), the rights owners must be
able to depend on it. For a very simple reason: in order to allow rights to
be subject of trade, they should not be allowed to be withdrawn or
"disappear", at least not without due compensation. If I sell something, the
buyer should know that it does not lose its value because of *legal* reasons
(e.g. expropriation without compensation). This applies to all rights that
represent a monetary value (... else there would be no trade).

In this context it is irrelevant and confusing to distinguish material from
immaterial objects. Obligations are also rights, and they are also
immaterial. If I promise you to write an, uh, let's say manifesto, it is an
obligation. Some obligations (like the obligation to pay a sum of money) can
be traded. Firms may sell portfolios of debtor claims to banks. As I
explained before, this is basically 2000 year old Roman law.

For PP politics, the (prime) question is whether/when "commodification" of
information (enabling it to become an object of trade) is appropriate.
"Commodification" is a political concept, even related with Marxism. While
Marxists rejected many forms of commodification, there are forms most people
immediately agree on, like the commodification of LOVE.