[pp.int.general] Significance of use of Free and proprietary software in a political context

Per von Zweigbergk per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se
Sat Jan 31 14:08:33 CET 2009

29 jan 2009 kl. 15.32 skrev Richard M Stallman:

>    Personally, I think that it's perfectly healthy to have competition
>    between Free and proprietary software,
>
> To speak of competition between freedom and subjugation is to assume
> subjugation is morally acceptable.

True, but I happen not to believe that proprietary software equals
subjugation, and it is not the policy as far as I'm aware of any
pirate party. It is as far as I'm aware definitely *not* the position
of the Swedish Pirate Party.

In my perspective, subjugation comes from vendor lock-in, secret file
formats and other proprietary standards, Digital Restrictions
Management, overreaching enforcement of copyright law and software
patents -- not from the fact that the source code of the software
isn't Free.

In other words, proprietary software equals subjugation only when
there are no free alternatives and when it prevents interoperation
with Free Software.

For example, I have the choice of whether to use a web browser which
is proprietary, like Opera or Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE), a
web browser that's semi-proprietary like Safari (the Webkit HTML
rendering engine is Free Software, originating from KDE), and one that
is Free Software, like Firefox or Konqueror or Google Chrome.

The problem from my point of view has always been vendor lock-in (some
sites require plugins from certain vendors, like Macromedia Flash),
secret file formats (Macromedia Flash again), and the fact that MSIE
is dominant in the market means that some web sites (that fortunately
are very rare these days) will not work properly in anything but MSIE
because of MSIEs failure to follow some parts of the web standards.

The fact that I might use a web browser like Opera or Safari doesn't
really restrict my freedom, in my view, merely because there *is* a
free alternative. I know that if at any time I believe Opera or Safari
feels too restrictive, I can always use Firefox instead. In the
meantime, I'm content to browse web sites.

Now, I used GNU/Linux back when the only sensible web browser for GNU/
Linux out there was Netscape 4. I still have nightmares about the
crashing, the tiny fonts, the craptastic Motif GUI (also proprietary),
the eventually outdated HTML engine (because development stalled), and
the fact that nobody could make it any better because it was
proprietary, but most of all - because there was no viable alternative
at the time.

Because, in my opinion, therein lies the real freedom as a user, to be
able to choose between different solutions. And as long as a Free
Software solution exists to do what I need to do, I always have the
option to either add a feature that a proprietary software vendor
won't add myself to the alternative Free software, or to hire somebody
to do it for me.

Maybe that's wanting to have the cake and eat it too. I don't know. I
just like cake, the more the better.
--
Per von Zweigbergk

VARNING: E-post till och från Sverige, eller som passerar servrar i
Sverige, avlyssnas av Försvarets Radioanstalt, FRA.
WARNING: E-mail to and from Sweden, or via servers in Sweden, is
intercepted by the Swedish National Defense Radio Establishment.