[pp.int.general] International day of Sharing - September 12

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 19:06:06 CEST 2009

2009/6/28 Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl>:
>> Fair use, or as in Europe, exceptions and limitations in copyright, is
>> something most people, even our opponents, can't be against. It's the
>> perfect starting point for breaking the dogma of copyright never being
>> able to be weakened. Because who could be against the visually
>> impaired getting books more easily?
>>
>> I think it's wrong if we look at copyright as a problem only from the
>> file-sharing perspective. Copyright legislation today is a labyrinth
>> of problems, layer upon layer of ridiculousness. We need to identify
>> problems and create solutions for each of those problems. Exceptions
>> and limitations also.
>
> I think it is *very* modest to focus on "exceptions and limitations". This
> is more a passtime for *lawyers*, see e.g.
> http://www.ip.mpg.de/ww/de/pub/aktuelles/declaration_on_the_three_step_.cfm
> (judge yourself whether you are impressed by those proposals).

i agree with you. exceptions and limitations can't be an end-goal. but
the way i see it, the copyright system will not be completely reformed
in six months, so for the coming six months we'll need to have a
realistic achievement to aspire to.

what i mean is, we need to identify steps that can be taken reasonably
fast. it's no good being in opposition against *worse* laws all the
time, we need to aspire for a *positive* change.

i suppose we could do that by advocating a revolution, rather than a
gradual reform, though.

--
Amelia Andersdotter
Lissabon-MEP