[pp.int.general] [Fwd: open the internet process!!]

Felipe Sanches felipe.sanches at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:48:26 CEST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        open the internet process!!
Date:   Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:46:00 -0400
From:   DeeDee Halleck <dhalleck at UCSD.EDU>

Dear friends,

Please read the inclosed letter and take action TODAY-- it is the deadline.

For several years I took part in the deliberations about the World
Summit on the Information Society.  I wanted to see what other countries
were doing in regards to community media and to help negotiate a place
for public access within international media regulations and
recommendations.  As part of this process I learned a bit about internet
governance.  A civil society group was set up (agreed to by ICANN-- the
official international internet organization) to come up with
suggestions for democratizing internet governance.  We're not talking
revolution here, but a few participatory gestures, slight, but important.

To the amazement of the civil society group, these suggestions were
completely ignored.  ICANN continues to represent only government and
commercial interests.
The hope that there could be civil society participation has been rudely
dashed.  However, the group that worked to craft an alternative process
is asking ALL THOSE WHO WORK IN NON-PROFIT MEDIA to weigh in and let
ICANN know how important it is that civil society gets "a seat at the
table".

PLEASE READ THIS AND SEND A STATEMENT OF SUPPORT FOR A DEMOCRATIC INTERNET.
DeeDee Halleck

Dear Dee Dee,

I am writing with an urgent request that you please send a quick _email_
<mailto:gnso-stakeholder-charters at icann.org> to ICANN to weigh-in
regarding the imposition of the ICANN staff drafted charter for a
Noncommercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG).

Without any explanation or justification, ICANN discarded the NCSG
charter that had been drafted by civil society in a consensus process
and submitted to ICANN by NCUC in March - and supported by more than 80
noncommercial organizations and individuals.

Instead, ICANN is attempting to impose precisely the "silo" charter
model that we said would stranglehold us and render us ineffective in
policy development at ICANN.

It is crucial that noncommercial organizations and individuals weigh-in
right now and let ICANN know that the world is watching and expecting it
to live up to its promises of bottom-up processes, accountability, and
democracy.

The governance structures contained within the NCSG charter will be
extremely important for determining how effective noncommercial users
can be in influencing policy decisions at ICANN for years to come.  So
if there was ever an issue to weigh-in on, this is the issue - because
it will impact /every issue noncommercial users face in the future/.

*The ICANN Public Comment Period on the charters is open until *_*23
July - Thursday*_* (end-of-business in California)*.

Comments on the draft charters are submitted via email
to _gnso-stakeholder-charters at icann.org_
<mailto:gnso-stakeholder-charters at icann.org>.

Thank you for considering this urgent request.  If you can find the time
to send a quick email to ICANN before Thursday EOB, it could make a
significant difference for noncommercial users for years to come and I
would greatly appreciate it.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this request further.
 Thanks again!!

All best,

Robin

Background on Issue with links to docs, see my article: "/Is ICANN
Accountable to the Global Public Interest?/":
_http://ipjustice.org/ICANN/NCSG/NCUC-ICANN-Injustices.html_

IP Justice Statement on Stakeholder Group Charter Injustices:
_http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/msg00012.html_

Comment from Dr. Milton Mueller (Internet Governance Project):
_http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/msg00001.html_

Public Comments:
_http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/_

ICANN Info on submitting comments on stakeholder group charters:
_http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#stakeholder_

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: _http://www.ipjustice.org_ <http://www.ipjustice.org/>
 e: _robin at ipjustice.org <mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>_