[pp.int.general] Our ideology

Eric Priezkalns eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk
Fri Jul 31 13:02:02 CEST 2009

I agree with Mikko.  The Pirate Party has no need to define itself as
a party of the left.  I would go further, because I can imagine this
debate will come up again and again.  The left-right spectrum is
simplistic and unhelpful.  We should deliberately avoid placing
ourselves on that spectrum.  It would be better to talk about the
specific things we want to do and the principles that we have.  Talk
about whether we are left or right is unlikely to explain what we
stand for; it may only cause confusion.

Some political theorists have conjectured that the left-right spectrum
is better understood as a circle, rather than a line.  Keep going to
the left, and you end up back at the right.  Anarchists can look like
neo-cons.  Authoritarian communists can look like authoritarian
fascists.  Even that is simplistic, but it helps to explain why
positioning ourselves as a leftist party is not an effective way of
communicating our concern for liberties.  There have been thinkers all
over the spectrum who favour liberty.  In contrast, history shows us
there have been plenty of repressive leftist governments, as well as
repressive rightist governments.  The driving force in the formation
of the US Republican Party was the abolition of slavery.  Robespierre
was responsible for the Terror.

The principles we deal with are very international, which is why we
can see parties being formed all over.  But the meaning of 'left' and
'right', in normal conversation, gets twisted by local cultures.
Obama gets described as on the left of American politics, but he
advocates policies that would be considered on the right in European
countries.  Following the fall of the Soviet Union, Russian communists
were sometimes described as being on the right, because they opposed
liberalization of the market.  If parties in individual nations find
it helpful to describe themselves as to the left, or to the right, let
them do so.  But to describe the whole international movement as left
or right risks failing to understand the impact that will have in
different political cultures.

Liberty is a grand enough principle to aim for, without needing to
colour it as of the left or of the right.  If we can stay focused on
that goal, many other aspects of policy will follow.  Voters can
understand that.  They might even prefer to hear that.  Sometimes, the
debate between left and right does not work.  Let us avoid it
completely.

Regards,

Eric