[pp.int.general] Our ideology

Alex Foti alex.foti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:38:42 CEST 2009

Dear Eric,

i'm not offended at all and thanks for the time you took to write
these remarks. mine was mostly a topological intent of classification,
not the the word "left" should appear in pirate manifestos, since
political utilitarianism dictates otherwise. i don't think this
discussion is worthless, but interesting, and i surmise that in my
view to talk about "left" in the 21st century means to talk about
property rights and the distribution of wealth, and that's why i'm
drawn to pirate party politics. in addition to online freedom of
expression, net neutrality etc that constitute today's
cyberlibertarianism.

ciao,
lx

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Eric
Priezkalns<eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> and right are so unhelpful.
>
> I am sorry you are upset.  I can see you are upset because of the comments
> you made about bankers, which had nothing to do with what we were debating.
>  But however you feel about bankers, may I observe that you are making a
> generalization?  Is it possible that somebody is both a banker, and agrees
> with our core principles?  Yes, of course it is.  Is it good political
> tactics to identify many enemies and try to defeat them all?  No, it is not.
>  The Pirate Party will have plenty of political enemies, even if it just
> narrowly sticks to the core principles that we all share.  Diverting into
> debates about bankers and left vs. right is not going to help us win.  Big
> and radical reform movements do not win easily.  If we can make friends on
> both left and right, with bankers as well as bus drivers, we will have a
> better chance of winning.  That is what is on my mind.  I hope you can agree
> with that tactically, even if ideologically it means you have to have to
> sacrifice some of your ambitions in order to realize other ambitions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>

> On 31 Jul 2009, at 12:12, Alex Foti wrote:
>
>> just a quick rejoinder to Eric, to whom i suggest he read the story of
>> american freedom by another eric (foner), given that liberty was
>> frequently invoked by Dubya Bush and all kinds of witch-hunters before
>> him. Lincoln's republicanism was definitely on the progressive left
>> and was understood as such in its day (Garibaldi was supposed to fight
>> for the Union). Left/right divide is obsolete? Not until bankers get
>> trillions while employees get the pink slip.
>> freedom ciaos, lx
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Eric
>> Priezkalns<eric.priezkalns at pirateparty.org.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with Mikko.  The Pirate Party has no need to define itself as a
>>> party of the left.  I would go further, because I can imagine this debate
>>> will come up again and again.  The left-right spectrum is simplistic and
>>> unhelpful.  We should deliberately avoid placing ourselves on that
>>> spectrum.
>>>  It would be better to talk about the specific things we want to do and
>>> the
>>> principles that we have.  Talk about whether we are left or right is
>>> unlikely to explain what we stand for; it may only cause confusion.
>>>
>>> Some political theorists have conjectured that the left-right spectrum is
>>> better understood as a circle, rather than a line.  Keep going to the
>>> left,
>>> and you end up back at the right.  Anarchists can look like neo-cons.
>>>  Authoritarian communists can look like authoritarian fascists.  Even
>>> that
>>> is simplistic, but it helps to explain why positioning ourselves as a
>>> leftist party is not an effective way of communicating our concern for
>>> liberties.  There have been thinkers all over the spectrum who favour
>>> liberty.  In contrast, history shows us there have been plenty of