[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:28:00 CEST 2009

The idea of a tax for downloading has been discussed for years, it is
essentially a peace treaty suggestion that is inspired from the
cassette and CD/DVD tax fees, in Sweden it is 225% at the moment (they
increased it by 800% in 2003) why it is common to do private import
from Germany. The media industry (MPAA etc). have been pushing for a
similar tax on harddiscs and USB sticks etc:

http://www.danaquarium.com/article.php?story=2005071306065330
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/spain-set-to-impose-tax-on-ipod-iphone/
http://mashable.com/2008/03/14/preemptive-piracy-tax/

The really odd thing with all these taxes does not mean that you can
freely copy music CDs or DVDs - it’s still considered piracy why I do
not think the media industry will lay down their arms just because
this tax would be imposed and I question EFF's argument about the
anonymous in this monitoring:

"Figuring out what is popular can be accomplished through a mix of
anonymously monitoring what people are sharing (something companies
like Big Champagne and BayTSP are already doing) and recruiting
volunteers to serve as the digital music equivalent of Nielsen
families (something that Last.fm subscribers are already doing).
Billions in television advertising dollars are divided up today using
systems like this. In a digital environment, a mix of these approaches
should strike the right balance between preserving privacy and
accurately estimating popularity."

A quick visit at BayTSP's page shows that these "anonymous" monitoring
is in no way anonymous, to quote there Services:

"Monitor for your content online and, when necessary, take action to
have it removed. Use business intelligence to know where your content
is appearing on UGC sites, P2P networks and Cyberlockers. Learn where
your audiences congregate, track your content's "virality" and measure
the effectiveness of online campaigns."

Further arguments are easy to find:

http://lsolum.typepad.com/copyfutures/2004/09/the_problems_wi.html

I also agree with Rick that the traditional creator view is incorrect
since everybody is a creator today since creations are modified into
other creations every minute around the globe, a DJ is just a old
example of this. Newer approaches is how things are developed has been
described by a university teacher in a very nice way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAO-lZ4_hU&feature=channel

The question is how we want to form the future, yes we are approaching
that position and I do not believe that the simple solution of just
exterminating the media distribution industry will be a solution. I
think we have to reshape it to respect all types of creators and
viewers without the expectation to always make a buck since that would
block the accelerating development that the world needs to survive in
it's current structure.

- Nicolas