[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jun 9 00:21:56 CEST 2009

> I don't believe that we need artist that can live from creating art.
> Artist existed long before copyright was invented, even before money was
> invented, and we'll have artists and culture anyway. But if their business
> model is obsolete and inviable and cannot be sustented by their own
> merits, then that business must change or die. Because it is the business
> that will die, and not art creation.
>
> And yeah, just like Reinier told you, if you don't agree with this, you
> are against the ideas of all the Pirate Parties and you may better join
> the record maffia and don't bother me here. become an "intellectual
> property" lawyer and get VERY rich.

It starts with the basic problem that the authors of HTML pages are also
entitled a copyright compensation. Why discriminate and give the authors of
music and film a preference treatment? The practical answer is that they
excert pressure. Blackmail. The fundamental answer does not exist.
Likewise, all pruducers of "user provided content" are entitled to receive a
copyright compensation. I guess that the this compensation exceeds the levy
on mobile phones (where it exists).
In sum, in formation society there is are infinite flows of information.
Sorry for the cliché. There is no place anymore for traditional copyright.
Making an exception for Hollywood and the handful of record conglomerates
that are left is an obvious capitulation for rent seeking businessmen who
are more creative in hring lawyers than in accepting true innovation, that
requires "creative destriction", as Schumpeter said over 60 years ago.

Presently, I pay a compensation to the cable company because they deliver TV
*commercials* to me! It is ourageous. Imagine that you have to pay again
because your tap water is delivered via londer pipes ...

reinier