[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Jun 9 15:57:59 CEST 2009

> And like with levies on other media, a tax on the internet access would
> take a lot of wind from the lawyers - at least in germany.
I am aware of the Abmahnwahn problem in Germany. Is that why you want
flatrates? Indeed this Abmahnwahn problem is dreadful.

For the uninitated: German (civil, procedural) law allows attorneys to send
summons to (e.g.) file shares on their own force - that must be paid by the
recipient, typically hundred of euro's. Else a court case follows which is
much more expensive. There are law firms that establish "factories" to send
Abmahnungen to file sharers. They cooperate with technology firms who scan
the internet for (alleged) wrongdoers.

Capitulation should not be the prime strategey of a political party, though!

reinier