[pp.int.general] cultural flatrate: PP position?

Christian pp at christian-hufgard.de
Thu Jun 11 14:34:00 CEST 2009

pietro wrote:
>> Thats the part, where the 95 pages of the GEMA money-sharing guide come into the game...
>> Which are basically accepted by all GEMA members - and the according companies in other countries.
>
> So, people who disgree with GEMA are excluded from getting money from the tax.
> It doesn't seem very fair to me.

They also do not receive any shares from DVD sales, Copy machine sales,
HDD sales, ... If the play music at clubs, they do not retrieve there
part of the money the club had to pay.

Maybe this is not "fair". But it works.

>> And I do not want, that my mineral tax is used to support the creation of
>> anti-personnel mines.
>
> If I proposed a new tax that would be used to make anti-personnel mines would
> you support it? I hope not. I don't support your proposed tax.

Your good right - but that would not prevent you from paying it.

>> I think the society should enforce creation of free contents.
>
> I think that society should support free knowlegde/culture. Enforcing freedom
> sound s bit weird.

You mean like "fighting for peace" or "fucking for virginity"? I can
live with the term "support". Because the target is the same.

>> And artists have to live from something.
>
> Yes, and the rest of humanity too. And we need to be able to share knowledge
> and culture among ourselves.

If you are willing to pay the price. How many artist do you know, that
can live from sharing their products for free?

>> Now they could either produce only mainstream stuff, or they can create art -
>> which is not than much yieldable - and get support from the state.
>
> I think it is safe to say that most states already do support artists. I agree
> with you that this be expanded *and* since they were already paid by taxes to
> create their art should be free as in both free speech and free beer.  The same
> should happen with scientific research.

Fine. :)

Christian