[pp.int.general] RiP: A Remix Manifesto

Andrew Norton andrew.norton at pirate-party.us
Tue May 19 17:12:00 CEST 2009

coretx at piratenpartij.nl wrote:
> Verry interesting. But please scrap Cory Doctorow from the "interesting"
> list.
> He insults the pirate partys by calling us for example a bunch of
> extremists.
> And not worthy to be taken seriously. Once, i did try to talk to him on a
> Picnic panel discussion i went to with Wybo.
> When i mentioned being a pirate party member  ( And therefore being there )
> , he made the organisation mute the microphone!
> While a woman from XS4all took a stand for me, and the rest of the room was
> filled with industry puppets...
> To make it even more hilarious: the topic was "Creative Money Salon" , and
> you can gues the context.
>
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:43:23 -0700, Glenn Kerbein
> <glenn.kerbein at pirate-party.us> wrote:
>> Dear fellow pirates:
>> 	A contact on an IRC channel I idle in pointed out a documentary
>> recently released and available for download: Brett Gaylor's RiP! A
>> Remix Manifeso. I figured
>> that since we are all in different time zones or not on IRC constantly
>> (myself included), I may as well share my opinion on the matter.
>> 	The film is an intricate balance between contemporary remix culture and
>> how past media has been remixed. Topics of interest cover Greg Gillis,
>> colloquially known as Girl Talk, Cory Doctorow, and Walt Disney. Not
>> only does the film cover the overt ignorance towards remixers, but also
>> how patent law has stifled scientific research. All in all, I thought
>> the film was an excellent watch, but not something completely unique.
>> Good Copy, Bad Copy covered this topic in great detail (traveling
>> anywhere from Denmark, Nigeria, Baltimore, Sweden, and the UK) and Steal
>> This Film 2 touched on the issue. This film hits home for me: the core
>> principles of overt, overbroad, copyright breadth is why I am here; I
>> may not agree that The Pirate Bay Four should be vindicated, but I agree
>> (in one way or another) that the litigation surrounding copyright law
>> should be changed for the better.
>> 	B-Side and EyeSteelFilm (co-producers) have the film for purchase and
>> download for US users only. Gaylor is using the Radiohead method of
>> purchase (pay what you want) and has a Screener ISO as well as a .mov of
>> the film to download.
>> 	I am inclined to hold a screening myself for the film. The idea hasn't
>> quite solidified quite yet, though; I'm thinking I'd hold it somewhere
>> in Silicon Valley. What better place to show a film about "intellectual
>> property" than at the heart of the tech industry. If that doesn't work
>> out, I've already begun making a mashup of my own, incorporating
>> segments of aforementioned films.

Very odd. i've had a number of discussions with him, including about
little brother (and he gave the movement a bit of a boost in Little
Brother). In fact, we had a nice discussion about Treasure Island (I
worked there october/november 2001 while there were 'high level thraets
against the bay area bridges - so you can imagine how amused I was
seeing it in the book)