[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Félix Robles redeadlink at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:43:25 CET 2009

In my opinion such a system would be very complicated, and a nuisance for
software authors every time they create a program. Also, I think free
software licenses are working pretty well right now, so I think we shouldn't
force privative software authors to release their code: they are already
starting to lose ground.

So we should take care that our copyright reforms don't touch the legality
of free software licenses. For example, if we unregulate every non profit
use of copyrighted works, people would be able to use GPL code to release
privative non profit software, even before the 5 or 15 or 20 years of
granted monopoly on for profit use of authors' works.

Here in Spain it's legal to download movies and music if it' non profit, but
it' illegal to download privative software. Perhaps we also should make a
distinction between software and other copyrighted works, and more precisely
between software code and other copyrighted works.

Or perhaps we shouldn't differentiate them, what do you people think?