[pp.int.general] 3. Re: One good, one bad (Jerry Weyer)

erik ernst erikernstm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:40:49 CET 2009

On 3 nov. 09, at 20:37, F?lix Robles wrote:

> I'm not saying there shouldn't have been referendum, but the treaty
> would have failed again an that would have been a huge problem! The
> Lisbon treaty is a great improvement on the old treaties and makes the
> EU a more democratic an better functioning body. It's by no means as
> democratic as it could/should be, nor does it function as effectively
> as it should/could, but a failure of the treaty would have caused
> serious problems in the EU and (this is important) in every single
> member state!

I wonder what your definition of democracy is and where you get the silly
idea, that the earth would stop spinning, because free citizens refuse to
sign a contract they do not understand.

 I share Vaclav Klaus´ enthusiasm of the EU project, and Im slightly worried
about the enthusiasm of the word "democracy". The concept of democracy is
used to justify just about anything its humanly possible to concieve, but
the actual meaning is: Rule by the majority of the people". If we are to
claim that the Eu is an democratic institustion, is it then too much to ask,
that we actually act accordingly? Agreeing to this new contract, without
asking the citizens of EU, is not an act in defense of democracy, but quite
the opposite.

Now, I dont believe in democracy at all to begin with, and that obviously
puts me well of the partys line of thought, so perhaps its just time to
migrate to the US PP, where they have a simple constitution even my 12 year
old daughter understands.

"We the people..."