[pp.int.general] 3. Re: One good, one bad (Jerry Weyer)

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Wed Nov 4 00:39:45 CET 2009

On 4 nov. 09, at 00:06, Ole Husgaard wrote:

> The people have to be able to understand the law. If the law cannot
easily be understood by the people, we have a problem. How can we
require that people respect something they do not understand?

You do not have to understand the law, you do have to recognize that
what you do is against the law. That's part of the problem of
filesharing in my opinion: people know its wrong (nowadays), but they
still do it because the don't understand why it should be illegal (an
rightly so). It's just impossible to understand each an every piece of
legislation, you have to be a doctor, a lawyer, a farmer, a chemist
etc all in one.

> The procedure has been directly anti-democratic: The constitution was
> voted down in two countries, and then referendums in other countries
> were cancelled. Then the constitution was amended to make it harder to
> require national referendums. Only Ireland still had to vote, and when
> they voted no, there was a minimal change, and another vote on
> essentially the same treaty was called.

Yes and I agree. But that how international treaties work for over 100
years now! It was always the head of states discussing, signing and
the parliaments ratifying. One could also argue that since the
national parliaments of every member state ratified the treaty that
there was a democratic procedure! You can't just ignore and say "the
EU is an anti-democratic monster" when every single national
parliament of the member states of the EU ratified the treaty! The EU
never signed its own treaty, its national governments and national
parliaments.

The EU needs more democracy and the treaty is a step in the right
direction. It's nowhere near perfection, but perhaps that is because
it can't be better than the national parliaments and the governments
who sign every treaty and then blame the EU for every bad decision.

> Best Regards,
>
> Ole Husgaard.

Best regards,

Jerry Weyer