[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Wed Nov 4 10:01:13 CET 2009

>> This problem has been solved. In germany GEMA takes money for created
>> copies. If you have had no legal contract to create the copy, you'll be
>> sent to court.
>
> Umh...Talk was about the time after first 5 years when it would be legal
> to use the work commercially, just with compensation with money.

Well, that's exactly what GEMA takes care of. But _why_ do we want to take
the authors right to use his work commercially away?

>> > I've also started to think, could this same system be applied on
>> patents
>> > (disregard medicine and such patents with straight effect to people
>> > health). Protection time seems like a working one, if needed at all,
>> but
>> > it would also speed up development process and no whining about needed
>> > time for making profit to cover expenses.
>>
>> Patents are public! So today everybody can base new work upon patented
>> stuff.
>
> Most of the pirates I know, want to seize patents for good. Patents also
> have long protection time when nobody cant do the same work described in
> patent, even the work itself would be another authors, not patenters
> idea. Even as crazy thing as this one; All gsm mobile phone
> manufacturers must currently pay for Nokia since Nokia has patented part
> of GSM technology that is still used.

So what? Nobody is forced to use GSM... And if somebody decides, to use a
patented work as a standard, thats espicially his problem.

> Problem is that patented information needs to be free to use _much_
> faster,

Everybody can read and improve them - and release the new knowledge as free.

> some even might have direct link on saving lives.

And some others might cost lives. That a totally different issue and might
be treated separatly.

> Thou I don't
> yet think all the patents should be removed (nor I think they must be
> saved), reverse engineering don't yet fully replace useful patented
> information if it would be free from the start.

Exactly. Patents do not work very well anymore. In a global world there
will be always a state using your patents and sell your idea for cheaper.

Christian