[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:34:17 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> > Most of the pirates I know, want to seize patents for good. Patents also
> > have long protection time when nobody cant do the same work described in
> > patent, even the work itself would be another authors, not patenters
> > idea. Even as crazy thing as this one; All gsm mobile phone
> > manufacturers must currently pay for Nokia since Nokia has patented part
> > of GSM technology that is still used.
>
> So what? Nobody is forced to use GSM... And if somebody decides, to use a
> patented work as a standard, thats espicially his problem.

Well, there are at least 2 standards of GSM networks (CDMA and GSM) where
the later is dominating the globe so to use another standard would be
pointless, you would not be able to communicate with the mobile antenna so
no coverage why the mobile phone would be useless..

http://scienceray.com/technology/information/cellular-network-technologies/

- Nicolas
  PPI / PPSE member