[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:24:18 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Most of the pirates I know, want to seize patents for good. Patents also
>> > have long protection time when nobody cant do the same work described in
>> > patent, even the work itself would be another authors, not patenters
>> > idea. Even as crazy thing as this one; All gsm mobile phone
>> > manufacturers must currently pay for Nokia since Nokia has patented part
>> > of GSM technology that is still used.
>>
>> So what? Nobody is forced to use GSM... And if somebody decides, to use a
>> patented work as a standard, thats espicially his problem.
>
> Well, there are at least 2 standards of GSM networks (CDMA and GSM) where
> the later is dominating the globe so to use another standard would be
> pointless, you would not be able to communicate with the mobile antenna so
> no coverage why the mobile phone would be useless..
> http://scienceray.com/technology/information/cellular-network-technologies/

CDMA is not GSM. CDMA, or code division multiplex access, it a broad
spectrum of type. GSM is a standard that uses TDMA (time division).

I've used both quite extensively. In fact, I was checking up on the
two earlier, as there's some debate over 3G coverage in the US between
AT&T (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA)
(http://consumerist.com/5396462/att-sues-verizon-over-theres-a-map-for-that-ads).
I used GSM in the UK, and for a time here in the US. I've used CDMA
for the last 4 years. There's a very good reason why - CDMA can cover
more area with less towers. I have a strong 3G signal here, there's no
GSM coverage here at all (demonstrated clearly last month when the
AT+T guy came to fix my DSL line, and had to borrow my cellphone to
call the office)

There are no Nokia patents in my phone, or related to my phone at all
(don't like nokia. last one I had was a 1610, and i do mean the LAST
one! I'm happy with my LG EnV2). I also have the benefit of no
'chirps' on speakers, announcing my phone's about to ring, which
always annoyed me.

Andrew