[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 17:40:22 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> So what? Nobody is forced to use GSM... And if somebody decides, to use
> >> patented work as a standard, thats espicially his problem.
> >
> > Well, there are at least 2 standards of GSM networks (CDMA and GSM) where
> > the later is dominating the globe so to use another standard would be
> > pointless, you would not be able to communicate with the mobile antenna
> so
> > no coverage why the mobile phone would be useless..
> >
> http://scienceray.com/technology/information/cellular-network-technologies/
>
> CDMA is not GSM. CDMA, or code division multiplex access, it a broad
> spectrum of type. GSM is a standard that uses TDMA (time division).
>
> You are right, a mixup from my side, I should have written cellular or
mobile networks, that is what I meant to have said..

> I've used both quite extensively. In fact, I was checking up on the
> two earlier, as there's some debate over 3G coverage in the US between
> AT&T (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA)
> (
> http://consumerist.com/5396462/att-sues-verizon-over-theres-a-map-for-that-ads
> ).
> I used GSM in the UK, and for a time here in the US. I've used CDMA
> for the last 4 years. There's a very good reason why - CDMA can cover
> more area with less towers. I have a strong 3G signal here, there's no
> GSM coverage here at all (demonstrated clearly last month when the
> AT+T guy came to fix my DSL line, and had to borrow my cellphone to
> call the office)

I know the coverage of CDMA is better then GSM, but as the article I refer
to, dominating is GSM so my point is that in most places on the globe you
are forced to use GSM due to lack of alternatives. It is not so many places
with both good coverage GSM and CDMA cellular network and this will not
change anytime soon since the costs to build and maintain these networks are
high.

- Nicolas
  PPI / PPSE member