[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Wed Nov 4 17:43:37 CET 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Andrew Norton wrote:

> >> So what? Nobody is forced to use GSM... And if somebody decides, to
> >> use a patented work as a standard, thats espicially his problem.
> >
> > Well, there are at least 2 standards of GSM networks (CDMA and GSM)
> > where the later is dominating the globe so to use another standard
> > would be pointless, you would not be able to communicate with the
> > mobile antenna so no coverage why the mobile phone would be useless..
> > http://scienceray.com/technology/information/cellular-network-technologies/

> There are no Nokia patents in my phone, or related to my phone at all
> (don't like nokia. last one I had was a 1610, and i do mean the LAST
> one! I'm happy with my LG EnV2). I also have the benefit of no 'chirps'
> on speakers, announcing my phone's about to ring, which always annoyed
> me.

But you don't get out of the patent mess by choosing to use CDMA (which by
the way is not a possibility in many countries). Instead of having to pay
Nokia (and a whole lot of other companies), they have to pay Qualcomm
(mainly) - and a whole lot other companies.

--
Mikko Särelä
"It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a