[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Kaj Sotala kaj.sotala at piraattipuolue.fi
Wed Nov 4 10:41:08 CET 2009

Quoting Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de>:
>>> This problem has been solved. In germany GEMA takes money for created
>>> copies. If you have had no legal contract to create the copy, you'll be
>>> sent to court.
>>
>> Umh...Talk was about the time after first 5 years when it would be legal
>> to use the work commercially, just with compensation with money.
>
> Well, that's exactly what GEMA takes care of. But _why_ do we want to take
> the authors right to use his work commercially away?

Christian,

could you please explain what you mean by this, because I honestly
don't understand where you're getting the idea that we'd take away the
author's right to use his work commercially? Under the proposed model,
the author could use his work commercially after it was published, he
could continue to do so after the first five years passed (only others
could do so too, if they paid him), and he could even continue to do
so after the twenty years passed (only others could do so too, without
compensation). I *wrote* the original proposal, and nowhere does it
say that the author would lose the right you're talking about.

-- Kaj / Piraattipuolue