[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Wed Nov 4 11:22:54 CET 2009

On 4 nov. 09, at 10:31, Christian Hufgard wrote:

> Boris Turovskiy wrote:
>> Christian Hufgard wrote:
>>> Yeah... And according to lissabon, sweden gets 20 seats für 9.2
>>> million
>>> inhabitants and germany 96 for 82 million. So a swedish vote is
>>> twice
>>> heavier than a german vote.
>>>
>> A direct proportionality between population and votes does (most
>> probably) not lead to the votes having equal power :)
>
> Of course not. There are some more points to be regarded. But each
> vote
> should definitivly have the same power. Otherwise the election would
> not
> be equal.

If I remember correctly "my" vote is 8x your votes (I'm from
Luxembourg). You can't compare the EU to a country, because it's not!
If you want each vote to be equal you have to make the EU a state. I
personally wouldn't mind, but you seem to want exactly the opposite,
but still apply principles to the EU that clearly belong to a state.

In the EU, member states are represented in the council. The different
(!) people are represented in the parliament. So even the smallest
member states must be able to  get a representative, which is only
possible if votes weigh differently! Consider the history of the
parliament (it wasn't elected until the 70s), an you see that clearly
the EU is not a state, and the european parliament not a
representation of the people of europe rather than the different
"peoples" in europe.

On the one hand you clearly don't want a european state/european
citizenship, on the other hand you apply the equal votes to the EU.
Also if I remember correctly even in your country (you're from
Germany, aren't you?), people have 2 votes, one being more "important"
than the other?

J.