[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 11:32:12 CET 2009

Jerry Weyer wrote:
> In the EU, member states are represented in the council. The different
> (!) people are represented in the parliament. So even the smallest
> member states must be able to  get a representative, which is only
> possible if votes weigh differently! Consider the history of the
> parliament (it wasn't elected until the 70s), an you see that clearly
> the EU is not a state, and the european parliament not a
> representation of the people of europe rather than the different
> "peoples" in europe.
Good point.

> On the one hand you clearly don't want a european state/european
> citizenship, on the other hand you apply the equal votes to the EU.
> Also if I remember correctly even in your country (you're from
> Germany, aren't you?), people have 2 votes, one being more "important"
> than the other?
That's not a good example, but another one is: we have the Federal
Council (Bundesrat) where the different regions are represented, and
it's built like the EU parliament - every region (Land) gets 3 to 6
votes on the council while the difference in population is like 20-fold
between the smallest and the largest one.

Best regards,
Boris