[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Wed Nov 4 11:36:58 CET 2009

Boris Turovskiy wrote:
> Jerry Weyer wrote:
>> In the EU, member states are represented in the council. The different
>> (!) people are represented in the parliament. So even the smallest
>> member states must be able to  get a representative, which is only
>> possible if votes weigh differently! Consider the history of the
>> parliament (it wasn't elected until the 70s), an you see that clearly
>> the EU is not a state, and the european parliament not a
>> representation of the people of europe rather than the different
>> "peoples" in europe.
> Good point.

It's not a state but its government writes our laws. Pretty bizzare. Also
that it has a constitution that does not use the word "constitution" in
it...

>> On the one hand you clearly don't want a european state/european
>> citizenship, on the other hand you apply the equal votes to the EU.
>> Also if I remember correctly even in your country (you're from
>> Germany, aren't you?), people have 2 votes, one being more "important"
>> than the other?
> That's not a good example, but another one is: we have the Federal
> Council (Bundesrat) where the different regions are represented, and
> it's built like the EU parliament - every region (Land) gets 3 to 6
> votes on the council while the difference in population is like 20-fold
> between the smallest and the largest one.

Both votes are of the same importance. But voting system has to be changed
on advice of the highest court, since it breaks the constitution at the
moment.

Christian