[pp.int.general] One good, one bad

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at piratepartei.lu
Wed Nov 4 12:02:03 CET 2009

On 4 nov. 09, at 11:36, Christian Hufgard wrote:

> Boris Turovskiy wrote:
>> Jerry Weyer wrote:
>>> In the EU, member states are represented in the council. The
>>> different
>>> (!) people are represented in the parliament. So even the smallest
>>> member states must be able to  get a representative, which is only
>>> possible if votes weigh differently! Consider the history of the
>>> parliament (it wasn't elected until the 70s), an you see that
>>> clearly
>>> the EU is not a state, and the european parliament not a
>>> representation of the people of europe rather than the different
>>> "peoples" in europe.
>> Good point.
>
> It's not a state but its government writes our laws. Pretty bizzare.

That's the EU: sth. new! Not a federal state, but more than an
international institution.Btw. the EU doesn't have a "government"
comparable to a national system. It's complicatet ;)

> Also
> that it has a constitution that does not use the word "constitution"
> in
> it..

The UK doesn't even have a written constitution. You don't need the
word, it's all a question of hierarchy of rules. And as I said, its
since Costa 1962 (I have to check the date), that the EU/EC created
its own constitutional order. It was necessary for the EU to have any
meaning! And it's still now! With the charter having binding force in
2 months, the EU "constitution" is as protective of national rights as
any other european constitution (an more protective than some of them).

We have to realize that the "national" thinking is over in Europe (and
for some time now!). We live in an open world, and in my opinion one
strong point of the pirate parties is that they know it's not Germany,
France, Liechtenstein anymore, but that frontiers are just fictional
points on a map! The internet is one thing, but also in "real life"
frontiers play a lesser role.

J.