[pp.int.general] The ACTA Internet Chapter

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:49:45 CET 2009

2009/11/4 Andrew Robinson <a.robinson at pirateparty.org.uk>:
> It's worth remembering that we don't have any of the leaked treaty
> text. What we have is a single person reporting a leak, with no
> evidence and no actual text... and of course the negotiations are
> ongoing so if there is a leak, it probably wouldn't be the final text.
>
> If the claims made about the treaty are true, we can make a lot of
> political capital out of it... if they are not true, then we have the
> potential to make ourselves look very foolish.
>
> I suggest we should be cautious about treating this leak as fact,

Indeed so. But having said that, it's highly likely that some of the
proposals for the treaty, and the eventual text of the treaty, will
involve enormous infringements of civil liberties that're completely
unacceptable to many people. Which is why they are keeping the
negotiations secret: they want to impose them on people as a done
deal, to prevent opposition from having the chance of organise and
protest against it.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK