[pp.int.general] The ACTA Internet Chapter

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Nov 5 12:39:28 CET 2009

    I suggest we should be cautious about treating this leak as fact, and
    take care to always say "if this leak is accurate then..."

It is true that the leaks could be mistaken.  But I suggest
a different way to take account of that fact:

   When the governments now negotiating ACTA show drafts to the
   businesses that stand to profit from them, but not to the people
   that stand to lose their freedom, they demonstrate their hostility
   towards their citizens.  This makes the worst accusations in the
   leaks about the treaty plausible.  It is proper to believe the
   accusations, provisionally, despite the absence of total certainty.

   These governments can eliminate the uncertainty at any time by
   publishing the current draft and the proposals under consideration.
   Such publication is no more than what the public is entitled to.
   If their failure to do this results in some erroneous suspicions,
   these governments have only themselves to blame.

The point is that they should not get the benefit of a doubt
if they have created the doubt by violating the public trust.