[pp.int.general] 3-step usage rights / forced licensing model

Mikko Särelä msarela at cc.hut.fi
Thu Nov 5 13:51:16 CET 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Christian Hufgard wrote:
> Mikko Särelä wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >>     It happens pretty seldom that two people event exactly the same way
> >>     solve a problem. And patent rights grant only a monopoly for a
> >> concrete
> >>     solution and not for a general idea.
> >>
> >> I wish that were true.  However, the patent monopoly typically covers
> >> a somewhat general technique, not a concrete solution.
> >
> > Actually, it is quite common for multiple people to invent exactly the
> > same way to solve a problem within a short period of time. A lot of the
> > time, understanding the problem makes a certain solution appear beneficial
> > leading to multiple very similar solutions.
> >
> > Of course, your (Christian's) definition of exactly same may be different
> > than mine.
>
> Then let's just take the physical approach: There are no two things that
> happen at the same time. Do you have any examples for things, that were
> invented let's say the same week? And where not just the idea but the
> concrete solution is identical?

I have multiple private examples of me and my colleagues inventing exactly
the same thing during the same week. When it comes to inventions, even
half a year is a short time (compared to patent lifetime).

You can start by reading Against Intellectual Monopoly and some books from
Lawrence Lessig for examples.

But then again, I don't care about this enough to start arguing with you,
as you are a troll. And patents are an immoral monopoly granted by the
state to businesses. ;)

Sorry to have butted my head in, as I already made the decision not to
engage you. I have better things to do than arguing with you, such as
finishing my PhD. ;)

--
Mikko Särelä
"It is through exchange that difference becomes a blessing, not a