[pp.int.general] [Slashdot] EU Wants To Redefine "Closed" As "Nearly Open"

Ed Galligan ed.galligan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 01:32:55 CET 2009

<edulix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Uhm it seems that it's not as bad as they make look like it in
> slashdot, see comment
> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1428432&cid=29959614

Not really. That comment states: *"you have distorted and misrepresented
what they have actually said. They never defined, nor attempted to redefine
closed as open"* - which is incorrect, as the Slashdot entitles this story *"EU
Wants To Redefine "Closed" As "Nearly Open"*" - which is about right, the
"nearly" being the moderation in the title.

That comment merely outlines references to nearly-openness in the framework
report, and attempts to fob them off as actual openness, which is precisely
what the report is also trying to do.

It places the absolute most extreme case of "closedness" at one end of a
spectrum, at which open source is at the other end - leaving plenty of scope
for "reasonably but not extremely" closed source proprietary technologies to
be defined as "kind of close to" open as they are further up this imaginary
"spectrum" they've defined.

They've also removed any specific concrete references to preferring open
source, referred to as *"Open Source Software (OSS)"* in the previous
framework document, replacing them with vague generalities like the
open-to-interpretation adjective: *"openness".*