[pp.int.general] 3. Re: One good, one bad (Jerry Weyer)

Sven Clement sven.clement at piratepartei.lu
Thu Nov 5 11:33:39 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

>    You can't just ignore and say "the
>    EU is an anti-democratic monster" when every single national
>    parliament of the member states of the EU ratified the treaty! The EU
>    never signed its own treaty, its national governments and national
>    parliaments.
>
> If I recall right, one part of the EU rules adopted this way allows
> trade treaties to be approved by a vote of ministers without even
> submitting them to the national parliaments.
>
> Even if that was adopted through a democratic procedure, it is
> undemocratic in nature.

I do agree with you on the undemocratic nature by definition but the problem
will still be the same. We are responsible for whom we are electing to the
EU parliament so it should be clearer for the citizens that the EU has this
power so that instead of often sending descending national politicians to
the EU we will send more competent ones in which we may have trust.

> I think the EU is planning to impose the Anti-Citizens Treachery
> Agreement (ACTA) on all countries; that will require the 3-strikes
> HADOPI policy.  Thus, the Pirate Party will have to advocate either
> defying ACTA or pulling out of ACTA.  Either one will mean defiance of
> the EU.
>
> To show that that is justified, one needs to denounce the EU as
> unjust.  If you treat the EU as something that must always be
> respected then you lose immediately.

The EU doesn't need to be respected 100% of the time, but denouncing the EU
as an unjust institution is reaching too far IMO. We should probably
denounce specific projects and ideas, but not the EU as a whole.

Sven Clement
-- Chairman - PP Luxembourg