[pp.int.general] 3. Re: One good, one bad (Jerry Weyer)

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Nov 6 05:36:14 CET 2009

    > To show that that is justified, one needs to denounce the EU as
    > unjust.  If you treat the EU as something that must always be
    > respected then you lose immediately.

    I disagree. It's the same way as with national governments and
    parliaments: to protest against laws passed by them as unjust we have to
    make it clear why they are bad and strive to get power, not denounce the
    whole parliament structure as "bad".

That response would be valid in a democracy, but the EU is not very
democratic.  If the EU ratifies ACTA, the EU structure will not offer
an individual country ANY way to get out of ACTA except via a
confrontation.  And the European Parliament, by itself, could not do
anything either.

If the Pirate Party were elected to a majority in parliament in some
country in the EU, it would see first of all to abolish the 3-strikes
policy in that country.  That would conflict with ACTA.  ACTA would
carry the authority of the EU.

ACTA's supporters would say, in effect, "You can't possibly seriously
intend to defy the authority of the EU."  So would the Pirate Party
back down?  Or would it say, "The EU support for this evil policy
does not make it acceptable"?  One cannot say both.