[pp.int.general] ACTA documents leaked ?

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 7 19:57:31 CET 2009

2009/11/7 Laurent Le Besnerais <laurent.lebesnerais at pp-international.net>:
> hi ,
>
> It appears that some documents have éescaped" to the vigilance on EU
> Parliament, and are now available on the web
>
> http://www.numerama.com/magazine/14440-acta-des-documents-confidentiels-diffuses-sur-internet.html
>
> witihn the article (see at the end), you can find what seems to be the ACTA
> contents..
>
> Maybe we should react on this officially..

Having looked at it, it's clear they wish to impose 3-strikes, but
doing it via ISP's contracts with their customers, thus circumventing
the legal system. The text says:

"""to benefit from safe-harbours, ISPs need to
put in place policies to deter unauthorised storage and transmission
of IP infringing
content (ex: clauses in customers' contracts allowing, inter alia, a graduated
response). From what we understood, the US will not propose that
authorities need to
create such systems. Instead they require some self-regulation by ISPs."""

Unpicking that:

graduated response = RIAA/MPAA code for 3-strikes

clauses in customers' contracts => so that consumers have no recourse
to law or a fair hearing

to benefit from safe-harbours => means if ISPs don't do it they'll be
bankrupted with crippling lawsuits

This quote is also revealing of their mindset:

"""USTR indicated that these internal discussions were sensitive due
to different points
of view regarding the internet chapter both within the Administration,
with Congress
and among stakeholders (content providers on one side, supporters of internet
"freedom" on the other)."""

They know what they are doing would cause a shitstorm if it got out,
which is why they want to keep it secret. Oh and don't you love the
way they put freedom in scare-quotes?

I think we should publish this as wide and far as we can; doing so can
only hlep our cause.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at googlemail.com>
Campaigns Officer / Press Officer, Pirate Party UK