[pp.int.general] Artificial Scarcity

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Mon Nov 9 19:06:43 CET 2009

re all,

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 10:51:17AM -0500, Ryan Martin wrote:
> Are any of the international  parties talking openly and often about
> the Pirate Party movement being 'against artificial scarcity'?

let me take this occasion to wave hello list, coming out of lurkerdom

short intro:
I'm not a member  of a PP, all doe I live  like a pirate ;) developing
free software  as well publishing theoretical  considerations in human
language, as a peer of dyne.org, Kingdom of Piracy and other networks.
In the  past we have  presented (mostly to specialized  public) issues
that are close to those discussed here.

coming to  your question, the  argument of artificial scarcity  can go
very far when taking into  account the long history of copy-protection
in  games *and*  game  consoles:  electronic industry  is  one of  the
biggest ever, providing a large sample for our arguments.

at  various  occasions we  have  explored  the  topic and  brought  up
examples both related  to Asia and Europe, touching  topics as console
modding and cracking.  You can  easily wave a narrative that stands on
historical  facts: there is  no complete  copy protection  for digital
materials,  rather  than  infinite  attempts at  artificial  scarcity,
leading to  the criminalization of  local economies that  are blooming
from effective abundance.

just 2 Rupias for now  and thanks for keeping this mailinglist intact,
It's a good resource.

ciao

- --

jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F  5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39