[pp.int.general] Artificial Scarcity

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Mon Nov 9 21:08:22 CET 2009

>> For the rest: beware of economic arguments ("scarcity" is an economic
>> concept). Economics is a pseudo-science.
> I would be grateful if you stopped bashing a discipline you obviously
> don't understand.

Uh, do you say that I don't understand the *entire* discipline?

I worked with economists on patent issues, for the European commission, and
I was *very* disappointed. For instance, they focussed on the *private*
value of (sofwtare) patents, because the *social* value would be too
difficult to assess in the given time frame. It is like making an
evaluation: let us focus on the advantages and forget the disadvantages, for
the sake of time ... iit leads to nonsesical conclusions.

But let us be constructive: if you believe you can explain the issues in
terms of "artificial scarcity", in a *politically* convincing manner: go
ahead!

reinier