[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Tue Nov 10 14:58:23 CET 2009

>> then I discovered that the *real* PP leadership (falckvinge, Engström)
>> was *totally* unintested in this "manifesto-mania". >> And they are
>> right! Absolutely right!
> Falckvinge and Engström are leaders of the Swedish PP only, AFAIK.
Perhaps the don't have a formal say. But I like their down to earth,
practical approach.
I think that there is little use to to reivive the "manifesto" project. I
don't have any objections, I am just concerned that the effort is wasted. I
don't think that is a priority for the present PP EP members to have a
formal "manifesto".

A manifesto may be useful as a * learning exercise*. But believe me, there
are many, many pitfalls to produce a professional Manifesto fit for external
use. In particular, if you want to play the "human rights" card, you
participate in a field that is generally considered very complicated even by
professional lawyers. You are likely to reinvent wheels. Don't believe that
you can add a fresh approach, ignnoring legal tradition. Yes, that would be
possible if you would focus on something really original, e.g. on economics.
But as soon as you use the "human rights" concept, you are tied to an
*existing* debate that can not be ignored. Being trained as a lawyer, I note
that non-lawyers often try to duplicate the work of professional lawyers,
instead of fostering their *own* strength, like specific knowledge of the
"real world" (which is often neglected by lawyers!).

This morning, I saw yet another study demonstrating that filesharing reduced
record sales. Yes, there are also studies that demonstrate that file sharing
does *not* reduce record sales, or at least: slows down sales that would
have diminished anyway. Who is right? Which apples are compared to what
oranges?

reinier