[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Nov 11 08:40:11 CET 2009

> I am becoming a bit confused: is there actually a document, a sentence,
> anything, that is (more-or-less) "official" and on what (almost) all the
> Pirate Parties agree?

No, afaik there is not. By the end of 2008, the manifesto "A-B-C" project
was abandoned by most contributors after heavy flame wars, and in the end is
really was the project of a single man, Carlos Ayala. During the Helsinki
meeting early this year, it was *not* discussed at all. Carlos was
disappointed, but he was pretty alone.

The Uppsala document (composed during the summer 2008 meeting) wasn't so
much intended as *the* PP "Manifesto", but more the by-product of a (very
useful) workshop, a mental exercise to better understand PP goals and
strategies.

I wrote a one page "PPI Principles" document for the Helsinki meeting (see
attachment), more to provide an alternative than because I believe(d) that a
manifesto was (or is) a priority. We spent little time on it in the meeting,
fortunately. The purpose of a political party is to gain votes, and a
"philosophical" documents like a manifesto should be judged from that
perspective: does it help to get more votes? As you know, actually
deceptively few voters read party programs.

I won't repeat here why I believe that the A-B-C manifesto's are not
suitable as *the* PP manifesto (else I unleash another flame war, I am
afraid).

reinier