[pp.int.general] Hosting Union

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Nov 11 12:20:39 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 05:50 +0100, Felix LeChaste wrote:
> Le 8 nov. 09 à 17:11, Boris Turovskiy a écrit :
>
> > the Russian Pirate Party has proposed to launch a international
> > hosting union to guarantee for content to stay on the 'net if some
> > countries decide to block it for their hosting companies:
>
> As long as the idea even if already partially beaten by other means
> needs to be closely thought in and out, you should know that to
> operate commercial hosting will be a big no-no for some parties as we
> can't have for example funds coming from foreign countries or by
> status to engage ourselves into service activities. So the structure
> has to be independent from them.
>
> As coretx point out, it is also a very "dangerous" business in some
> ways.
>
> Now, why not focus on pirate parties (i have a case in mind: ivory
> Coast we are thinking to help, a few others outside europe may also
> need some help this way), parties onto a democratic line, non profit
> organisations? if nasty villains want to hide themselves, there's
> other solutions for them.

It seems rather odd to plan to go jurisdiction shopping and hopping. I
think most people have seen that with TPB and a few other sites in the
past.

I would have thought it would make more sense to try and improve
existing censor-resistant publication systems like Freenode[1] and
Tor's .onion virtual-TLD[2]

[1] http://freenetproject.org/
[2] http://www.torproject.org/

Saves wasting time and money proving that the net routes around
censorship on conventional protocols.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil