[pp.int.general] Translation of the Pirate Manifesto

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Nov 11 15:57:52 CET 2009

> The Uppsala document (composed during the summer 2008 meeting) wasn't so
> much intended as *the* PP "Manifesto", but more the by-product of a (very
> useful) workshop, a mental exercise to better understand PP goals and
> strategies.
>
> The Uppsala document was written by the Swedish, alone, AFAIK.
Perhaps it was eventually written by Mjorten Fjällström (sorry, no Angstrom
sign on my keyboard), but the basis was the debate during the meeting.

> The purpose of a political party is/should be to enhance society, gaining
> votes is just the means.

Of course!
But: no votes, no change. The priority was to get votes.

If you really esnt to write something, try "the ideal copyright and a
roadmap to reach that". It may seem simple, but I bet: it is deceptively
complicated! Copyright limited to 5 years? But how to protect Open Source
then? And other CopyLeft initiatives? Would you like someone to become very
rich by using or selling the material you provided for free (creative
commons)? Or by using it in an advertisement campaign. Other question: how
to copy with the World Trade Organisation and the WIPO? The WIPO was founded
for the very purpose to promote "intellectual property". They are biased by
definition. And they have a new, very ambitious director since a year.

reinier