[pp.int.general] Subject: Re: International Pirates Day

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:41:58 CET 2009

Good idea

What I don't get it giving out copies of Linux. For an Open Source
movement, yes. But the use of linux does not actively match with any
of our policies.

If anything, it's maginalise us as some kind of software
'beardy-weirdy' group and take away from our message. A better one
might be following people around with video cameras (they don't
actually have to work), to illustrate the surveillance society. Or
maybe crowd mock-trials, where the public can vote on some issue of
public corruption (keep the activities the same, but change the
names). Maybe ask people in the street if they know what year was the
last to have all copyright expire, in your country (1922 in the US). A
privacy questionaire perhaps.

The point is to stick to the core issues, and work with them. Make
people think about them. Handing someone a linux cd isn't going to
make them think 'copyright terms are too long, and need to be reduced'
- it won't make them think about copyright at all. More probably
they'll think 'cool, a new coaster'.

Andrew