[pp.int.general] Subject: Re: International Pirates Day

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Nov 13 05:56:14 CET 2009

    What I don't get it giving out copies of Linux. For an Open Source
    movement, yes. But the use of linux does not actively match with any
    of our policies.

The suggestion was to distribute copies of gNewSense, which is a
complete GNU+Linux system.  Distributing just Linux would be
pointless, since Linux won't run by itself.  See
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.

Open source isn't really a movement; the whole point of the term "open
source" was to avoid advocating any sort of social change or
criticizing anything as an injustice.  Distributing copies of
GNU+Linux does help the free software movement.  For more explanation
see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

Whether it would be useful for the Pirate Party to distribute copies
of GNU+Linux, I don't know.  Since I'm the Chief GNUisance, I think it
is better here if I leave that question to others.

Your idea of following people with mock video cameras sounds like fun.
When confronted, the person could say, "I'm not really making a video
of you, but they are," and point to the nearest surveillance camera.