[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 16:24:58 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Reinier Bakels <r.bakels at planet.nl> wrote:

> I was not clear, apparently. A traveling salesman driving 100000 miles/year
> causes a lot more wear and tear to a road than an old widow driving just
> 1000 miles per year. So wouldn't it be just to let the salesman pay more
> than the poor old widow?

Yes.
HOWEVER
between me and the wife, we drive about 65,000 miles a year
(seriously, we do), but we cause LESS road wear, than a 40-ton HGV
that drives 500 miles

I am trying to remember my source, but I believe that a fully loaded
40-45ton truck does the same wear damage to the road, as 1,000
passenger cars. (Using US gallons)we get ~ 25mpg roughly, while a HGV
here gets maybe 6.5mpg (new frieghtliner cascadia). He uses fuel 5x
faster than I, but damages 1000x faster.

Wear from just 'cars' on a standard road surface is negligible.

This is why the fuel tax usage is a bit off.

Andrew