[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Nov 18 21:12:43 CET 2009

> I am trying to remember my source, but I believe that a fully loaded
> 40-45ton truck does the same wear damage to the road, as 1,000
> passenger cars. (Using US gallons)we get ~ 25mpg roughly, while a HGV
> here gets maybe 6.5mpg (new freightliner cascadia). He uses fuel 5x
> faster than I, but damages 1000x faster.

You are right. I heard the same. Effectively, vans pay much too little. This
industry (especially in NL!) is effectively subsidised by low taxes. A
proper price will kill a branch of endeavour. Which logically perhaps should
not have existed at all. But politicians don't do that. Another concern is
that there is not really an alternative (I have been told). Even in western
Europe with its dense railway network. And the abondance of waterways. Vans
deliver door to door all over Europe in a relatively short timeframe.

besides, engieers told me that one turn causes as much tire wear as driving
100 km straight on - and presumably the same applies for road tear. Curves
are disastrous!

reinier