[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Nov 19 17:22:32 CET 2009

    You are right. I heard the same. Effectively, vans pay much too little. This
    industry (especially in NL!) is effectively subsidised by low taxes. A
    proper price will kill a branch of endeavour. Which logically perhaps should
    not have existed at all. But politicians don't do that. Another concern is
    that there is not really an alternative (I have been told). Even in western
    Europe with its dense railway network. And the abondance of waterways. Vans
    deliver door to door all over Europe in a relatively short timeframe.

The cost of road repairs is not really that big.  The biggest harm done
by trucks is the CO2 emission.  We need to start raising their taxes
so that, over the next 5 to 10 years, the economy will restructure
to use such transport less, and use trains for freight more.