[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Nov 19 17:34:16 CET 2009

>    You are right. I heard the same. Effectively, vans pay much too little.
> This
>    industry (especially in NL!) is effectively subsidised by low taxes. A
>    proper price will kill a branch of endeavour. Which logically perhaps
> should
>    not have existed at all. But politicians don't do that. Another concern
> is
>    that there is not really an alternative (I have been told). Even in
> western
>    Europe with its dense railway network. And the abondance of waterways.
> Vans
>    deliver door to door all over Europe in a relatively short timeframe.
>
> The cost of road repairs is not really that big.  The biggest harm done
> by trucks is the CO2 emission.  We need to start raising their taxes
> so that, over the next 5 to 10 years, the economy will restructure
> to use such transport less, and use trains for freight more.

I recall another argument was that if all traffic shifts from vans to trains
overnight, the railway network will be totally insufficient. Actually our
government somehow anticipated this situation by bulding a new freight
railway from the Rotterdam harbour in the very west of the coutry, to the
eastern border. It is a major scantal. It is still hardly used, and it is
estimated never to be profitable. Google Betuwelijn.
reinier