[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Nov 25 07:36:05 CET 2009

>    Not very hard to fix? Please explain.
>
> I'm talking about fixing the nationwide chipcard system to be anonymous.
> It could probably be done by replacing just a part of what they have
> already installed.
There is indeed an anonymous option in the present chipcard system. But it
does not work for people who are entitled for reductions, like owners of
season-tickets. For instance, I personally bought a card which gives me the
right to travel on trains with a 40% reduction if I travel after 9.00 in the
morning(*). Other people are entitled for a reduction because they are
young, or because they are old.
(*) This card is fairly inexpensive (55 euro iirc), it is only not
attractive for tourists who stay here only for a limited time, and for
commuters. I think it is reasonable to let commuters pay more because they
effectively determine the capacity needed. Not to influence their behaviour
(they may not have a choice - else they would not do it because traveling by
train in rush hour is unattractive anyway), but simply because they
determine real cost.
reinier