[pp.int.general] Big Brother in NL?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Nov 24 23:47:06 CET 2009

    >    From a privacy perspective, there is a privacy problem in public
    >    transportation in NL due to the introduction of a nationwide chipcard
    >    system,
    >
    > That is an opportunity to raise awareness of the issue and it's a
    > problem that would not be very hard to fix.  (It would cost some
    > money, but probably much less than what it cost to install
    > the current system.)

    Not very hard to fix? Please explain.

I'm talking about fixing the nationwide chipcard system to be anonymous.
It could probably be done by replacing just a part of what they have
already installed.

    For cars, basically the idea is to make the pricing more honest, by taxing
    the *use* rather than the *posession* of a car.

That idea misrepresents the current system.  It taxes both the use and
the possession of a car.  It taxes the use through the fuel.

I won't say more about this since I already went thru it.